Friday, March 1, 2013

"I have to choose between my fiance and this doll's head"

Easily one of the most ridiculous, yet captivating shows currently on TV is My Strange Addiction. Featured on TLC, this show is just so far out there I don’t know where to begin. It’s sort of like Intervention for the craziest addictions you have ever heard of. If you have a hard time believing that drugs or alcohol could completely control someone’s life, wait until you hear what these people are addicted to.

Some of the episodes I’ve seen include addictions to a doll head, eating Comet, drinking gasoline, bathing in and drinking one’s own urine, sniffing baby powder, sleeping with a blow dryer and eating cat hair. The list only gets more weird, believe me. The craziest part is that these people really NEED these things. They have formed such strong addictions in their mind, they don’t believe they can function without these items.

The first half of the show usually focuses on the person with the strange addiction, as they explain why and how it came to be. Later in the show family and friends try to reason with them, and they almost perform a mini intervention. A health professional is also usually consulted, whether it be a physician or mental health professional, in order to try and communicate the seriousness of the addiction.

From my experience watching the show, most of the addicts are reluctant to give up their vices, even after speaking with friends, family and professionals. It doesn’t matter if the addiction is causing bodily harm or is just an inconvenience, these individuals have completely convinced themselves that they need them to live. I guess it’s all really a question of mind over matter for these individuals. Tune in on Wednesday nights, this show might just become your strange addiction.


8 comments:

  1. I feel like this could be used as an argument to legalize weed. "Not as addicting as cat hair."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally can't watch this show sometimes because it makes me sooo squeamish? (thats probably not a word)
    There was one on the other night, and this girl was obsessed with a little lamb, said she had spent over 27,000 hours with it in the past like 5 years. I nearly died haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I have only seen the show a couple of times, but I hear about it all the time. I heard about the girl that was addicted to eating deoderant!! YUCK! This stuff is so weird - I doubt if it's real, it's probably scripted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen so many strange and disgusting addictions on this show. Its just so bad that I can't look away...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm strangely addicted to this show. Sad but its so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worry for you Carly. I was going to comment about people being addicted to absurd reality shows but you seem to have beat me to the punch. Forgottenmanners, you're right on point with your weed legalization analogy.

    Kate, I appreciate the hyperlink to the "bathing in and drinking one's own urine," but as Shelby would say, I'm far too "squeamish" to see what lays at the other end of that double-click.

    I guess if I'm very honest with myself, I would have to admit that I am a pun-addict. That being said, i'll refrain from satisfying my cravings in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I have the hardest time watching this show as some of it makes me feel quite sick. It's one of those things you turn on and say "ew ew" the whole show but for some reason you can't change the channel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this is disgusting on so many levels haha .. I actually worked with the girl from Niagara who was on this show, the one that drank gasoline? She seemed so normal too! I guess you never know what some people are into ...

    ReplyDelete