Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I took all my own pictures though, and they good pictures!



Tuesday night means a brand new episode of Catfish. If you haven’t seen this show yet, it is a MUST WATCH! It’s based on the documentary... also called Catfish... about a guy named Nev who fell in love online with a girl named Megan. When Megan’s stories didn’t quite seem to add up, Nev and his movie-making friends attempted to untangle the mystery, traveling across the country and following the clues. *SPOILER ALERT* In the end, Megan turned out to be Angela, and Angela was nothing like she described. Although my quick explanation doesn’t do it justice, this was probably one of the most intriguing documentaries I have ever seen (judge me as you will.)
The idea for the show came up when hundreds of viewers started contacting Nev. They shared their stories of online love with him and hoped that he could help them find out if their loves would turn out to be Angelas too. I was instantly attracted to the show because the outcome of the documentary was just too good to be true, from my perspective anyway, maybe not from Nev’s. Each week Nev helps a different person track down their online love and, as I’m sure you can guess, hilarity ensues.
Tonight was the first episode with two gay males. Rico and Ja’Mari met online while Rico was in the military. After talking for quite a while they developed a relationship, even though they had never met or even video chatted. Rico emailed Nev asking for help, as he longed to meet this international male model he fell in love with online. Not surprisingly, Ja'Mari wasn't quite who he said he was. I will give him props for actually using his own pictures because that is usually the first place they go wrong. His name turned out to be James, and instead of a male model he turned out to be a bus driver. Not as bad as some I've seen, but a lie is a lie I guess, even online. In the end, Rico forgave James for lying and they decided to continue their relationship, both online and in real life. Overall, I'd give this episode 8/10 for effort and happy endings, but only 5/10 for comedy factor.
Rico, Nev and Max creeping Ja'Mari online.
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a documentary person, but I watched Catfish and really enjoyed it! I will definitely have to download and episode or two of the show to see if it's just as interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved the original documentary...angela was sooo detailed in her deception, I felt so bad for nev...some of these episodes of the show though, OMG. I don't understand how people can think they're having a 'relationship' but never actually SEE the person...wouldn't you skype or something! crazy! but also highly comedic sometimes, so its a good show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing! I am curious to see how their online relationship develops. I'm going to have to check this out!

      Delete
  3. I have heard some funny things about this show ... I think I may have to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hooked on this show! I haven't actually seen this episode, but I'm happy to see a couple that WANTS to stay together.

    ReplyDelete